Hip-Hop. When you hear that word, what’s the first thing you think about? Is it your favorite Rapper? Do you think about a favorite song, or do you think about the essence of Hip-Hop Culture? Well if you’re under the age of 35, the latter will most likely NOT be your answer.
Hip-Hop has come from meager beginnings, to the driving force of the entire music industry. Old heads like myself would answer that question with resounding passion, “Hip-Hop Culture!”
The culture is not really talked about these days, sans the VH1 specials like the Hip-Hop Honors, or the many websites dedicated to preserving that culture.
Well this series of mixes will focus on two integral elements of Hip-Hop; The DJ and the MC. You will hear the songs that DJ’s Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, Grand Wizard Theodore, and others used to play at Park Jams to get the crowd dancing. You will also hear the emergence of the MC, who ‘rapped’ over the break-beats the DJ would create from extending a certain part of the record, (a precursor to looping samples).
Come back every Friday for a new mix.
“It’s not old, if it’s new to you!!” Explore the old school!! You’re never too young to learn.
Download: The Origins, Pt.1
1. The Jimmy Castor Bunch – It’s Just Begun
2. Fearless Four – Rockin It
3. Michael Viner’s Incredible Bongo Band – Apache
4. The Treacherous 3 – At The Party
5. 20th Century Steel Band – Heaven & Hell (Is On Earth)
6. Fab 5 Freddy – Change Le Beat
7. Babe Ruth – The Mexican
8. Crash Crew – On The Radio
9. Herman Kelley and Life – Dance To The Drummer’s Beat
10. James Brown – Funky Drummer (bonus beat reprise)
11. Freedom – Get Up And Dance
12. Kevie Kev – All Night Long
13. Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band – Scorpio
14. Sugarhill Gang – 8th Wonder
15. Kraftwerk – Trans Europe Express
Make sure you check back for more Origins, with artists like Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5, Spoonie G, Funky 4 +1, Cold Crush Brothers, Fresh 3 MC’s, T-Ski Valley, Fatback Band, Jimmy Spicer, Kurtis Blow, Baby Huey, Harlem Underground Band and more.